For stool evacuation, the best method is the enema administration. It is used to stimulate evacuation of stool during a situation such as constipation by administering liquid treatment. The fluid is made to push excreta out from the rectum in severe cases. Enema supplies are available with wholesale catheters providers to administer it at home by yourselves. To avoid injury one can take help of the nurse or a doctor.
Use of enemas in different conditions
- The basic use of an enema is to clean the colon, detect polyps or even detect cancer of the colon. This can be cleared once the doctor advises the enema administration.
- Another use of an enema is during constipation, a very common gastrointestinal condition. The enema can be used to safely remove waste out of the rectum without causing any discomfort to the patient. People with such problems need enema most of the time maybe three or more times a week. Doctors suggest drinking enough water and having more fibre on a daily basis. Even exercises help in such situations. Enema administration is the last resort the doctors adhere to.
- Enemas supplies are sometimes used before any medical examinations of done for the colon. The doctor prescribes an enema before doing an X-ray of the colon. This way it gets easier to detect cancer of colon or polyps. Even before the colonoscopy, this procedure can be carried out.
Types of enema
There are basically two types of enema.
- In the first one, the lubrication is provided to lubricate bowels that help in the quick passage of the stool.
- Retention enema is given so that it stays in the body for the longer period of time. the oil-based enema soaks the stool to make it easy for the stool to pass out of the body.
Things required for administrating enema.
- Disposable apron and gloves
- Solution for lubricating
- Incontinence pads;
- Water thermometer;
- Water warmed to the desired temperature;
- Prepared enema solution.
Enema is given by using an indwelling catheter, which can be obtained from wholesale catheters, when bowel activity returns, usually five days after post operation. There are several enema regimens are followed in various hospitals and clinics that perform ACE, and doctors are known to modify the routine v frequently to suit the particular needs of the patients. The therapy may take some time such as one month to clear the issue. The patients are known to experience a certain degree of leakage in rectum within a few hours of washing out, which is not a major problem.
Risks associated with enema administration
After the colonic surgery it is important to avoid enema administration as this may lead to increased perforation. Even it is same for patients with history of obstruction or severe injury. Patients undergoing radiotherapy or gynaecological surgery are also supposed to avoid performing enema as they have risk from it.
The administration of enemas must be avoided in a severe case of paralytic ileus. Concentrated enema in small-volume should be avoided in case of inflammatory conditions or ulcers.